Monday, August 23, 2010

Bring on the Savor

Lover of dessert I am not. I just don't have much of a sweet tooth. On the contrary, is there such a thing as a "savory" tooth? My favorite chow charms hang out in that wide drawer smack-dab-center of my French door fridge or on the just-at-eye-level shelf in the pantry. (Note to self: move good food to bottom shelf.) Think cheeses and tapenades along with salty snacks and you'd be on the right track.

I never crave candy or ice cream. It would really be pointless in my house anyway... the other four inhabitants gobble anything sweet before it's out of the grocery bag. I'd never have a chance! I've even taken to hiding the little bit of chocolate I like. I'm not proud. And, I have to admit, a small piece of chocolate does wonders to kick up an afternoon! Oh, and not that milky-grey, creamy stuff with lackluster flavor. No, no; I like the good stuff: 65-70% cocoa dark chocolate! You can't beat that lovely, pungent zing. And, you know, now that I think of it, my beneficiaries seem uninterested, and therefore, wisely keep their paws off of my dark cocoa. (Note to self: stop hiding the chocolate and safely flaunt what you've got.)

It's kind of funny, though, how this "savory-tooth" has evolved. I wasn't always like this... When I was pregnant with my twins, I panicked if I left the house without a boatload of those miniature Snickers, Milky Ways & Butterfingers. And if I had a quarter for every time I sent Brett down to Baskin Robbins for a double fudge brownie sundae before those dittos were ripped from my loins, I'd be able to pay cash for their college tuition!

After those babies came home, it seemed my taste for the sweet went out with the bathwater. (*Sorry* it was just too easy.) Begs the question: Does parenting bring on the move to an appetite for the savory in life?

Hmmm.

No comments: