Friday, August 20, 2010

Beach + Book = Bliss

Is there anything better or more tantelizing on a summer day? I am so thankful that this equation is simply solved for me because of where I live.

I came to Southern California just over 20 years ago, moving here from upstate New York. Can you say "culture shock?" I mean, I had never even seen an avocado, let alone eat one or have any inkling how those things grow. (I remember passing by short, stunted little trees one time and Brett told me that they were avocado trees. I litterally laughed histerically thinking he was joking with me...I thought avocados grew like potatoes--in the ground!)

Don't get me wrong; I left some really, really good food behind. If you have not ever spent time up in the Buffalo area, you probably think it's all chicken wings and beer. Not so...I still crave this wonderful regional sandwich called a "roast beef on weck" and have fond memories of waiting in line for an hour for a Ted's hot dog. And let's not get started on pizza!

But the trade was a good one.

Southern California offers some of the best food, too! There are so many interesting ingredients.... Tomatillos, for example, are a magnificent ingredient that transforms sauces and rice dishes like nothing I would find back East. Try this... roast the tomatillos and veggies below; then blend in a food processor. Use in a variety of ways... and let me know how it goes... let your creative juices flow!!

4 tomatillos, husked, rinsed, quartered
2 red onions, quartered
5/6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
2 Serrano Chili Peppers, halved
4 Tblsp Olive Oil
Salt & P)epper

Roast at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.

No comments: