Saturday, August 7, 2010

On the Fly?

I'm a planner. I don't like surprises...rather see the train coming before it hits me. (No surprise birthday parties in my future, thank you very much!)

I know, I know. Boring, you think. I beg to differ. I know when to reign it in.

For example, when I travel, I like to know where I'm going, how much time I have and exactly where I'll lay my head at night. That leaves a chasm of surprise space in my book. There remains much adventure and revelation to be uncovered in exploring the time between arrival and sleep.

When I first brought my twins home from the hospital, I quickly learned that a good plan meant a good day--for all three of us. And a good day with two tiny babies amounts to a hot shower (ALONE!) and time to go to the powder room (ALONE!). A great plan translated into actually leaving the house and doing something.

When it comes to dinner with a busy family, planning is essential. I like to take some time on Sundays to figure out what I will be cooking all week long and write it down. I usually know who and how many I'll be feeding throughout the week by Sunday and I know what kind of time I will have to devote to the meals.I tend to be better organized when I go to the market this way and find I actually go to the store less when I plan ahead.

OK. That's the ideal!

I still find myself on a random Thursday evening staring into the abyss that is my freezer, sucking in that cool mist like a tonic of inspiration. Pretty soon, I am lost for ideas, but so soothed is my hot flash, I forget why I opened the fridge in the first place. An then it comes to me...the best plan ever: reservations!

Well, here's a recipe for that random Thursday night when, hubby--who has been out of work for many weeks now--vetoes the dinner out idea. I usually have most of these items on hand and like with many of my recipes--tweek 'em with what ya' got!

Quick and Tasty Enchiladas

3 tbsp olive oil
3 chicken breasts, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced, green chilies
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper
2-4 tbsp Mexican season blend
1 cup jarred salsa (you choose the heat), divided
1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained and pureed
8-10 medium flour tortillas (room temperature, or microwave for 10 seconds to soften)
1 & 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, medium shredded
1 cup cheddar cheese, medium shredded
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
Sour Cream & Additional Salsa on the side, if desired

Preheat your oven to 350. Drizzle the olive oil around a large skillet on high heat and add the chicken when the oil is just smoking. Allow the chicken to caramelize by not moving it around too often, flipping only when brown. After about 5 minutes, add the onion and chilies, and saute for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and at least 2 tbsp. of Mexican blend and saute for another minute; then stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa. Turn off the heat and set aside.

Use cooking spray or lightly oil a 9 X 13" baking pan. Pour the tomatoes into a medium bowl and mix in the salsa and desired amount of Mexican seasoning blend. Set out a work space to build the enchilada, with your cheeses and tortillas handy. Fill the tortillas--one at a time--with the chicken mixture, a little of each cheese, a sprinkle of cilantro and roll up. Place them side by side in the baking dish. Ladle a little of the tomato mixture over each roll-up, making sure to spread the sauce to coat the exposed tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over the top and bake for 12 to 18 minutes, until the cheese melts and the enchiladas are heated through. Remove from the oven and toss more cilantro over, if desired. Serve hot or warm with salsa and/or sour cream.
!BUEN PROVECHO!

No comments: