Friday, April 23, 2010

Dinner Challenge

OK... I just love this kind of challenge: dinnertime is fast approaching and I need to create a meal from whatever I have in the pantry and fridge. I have 45 minutes. I picture Alton Brown narrating from my dining room table. My three kids comprise the brutally honest team of judges.

(I know, I know. I really need to get a life!)

Oftentimes, it's a bust and I end up creating a mess, then calling for pizza! However, some nights I have a hit--like I did last night. This is now what I call a "keeper," so (for once!) I wrote down the ingredients.

The "judges" were all in agreement--this tasted great. Even Alton was impressed... well, it's my fantasy after all!

I had some asparagus and half a pound of bulk Italian sausage I had to use up. I used these two ingredients to get the creative juices flowing. Throw in some freshly chopped herbs, a little cream...Here's what I came up with:

3/4 lb cooked fettuccini
1 cup pasta water
1/2 lb. bulk sweet Italian Sausage, sauteed, set aside
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, cut into short strips
1 large bunch asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian herbs (basil, marjoram, oregano, flat leaf parsley--some or all)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium. Add the onions and some salt; cook for about 5 minutes, then add the asparagus. Cook for another 5-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and saute for a minute, until fragrant. Add the wine. Heat until bubbly and then reduced down--another few minutes. Add in the fettuccini, sausage, herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Use some of the pasta water to thin out the sauce as needed and continue to reduce as all of the flavors marry, about 2-3 minutes.  Remove from the heat; add in the cream and whisk in the cheese. Serve immediately.
Servings: 4-6

Enjoy.

No comments: