Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy in Happy Valley

We've all done it. Some have really enjoyed it. Some have regretted it. Some can't remember it. Some can't even speak of it... I did it last weekend and it was more memorable that I can articulate.

I'm talking about spending a weekend with friends in their home. (What did you think I meant??) I just want to pay homage to these dear people who made me feel as though I was a guest in a warm and cozy bed and breakfast instead of their peaceful, inviting home. This was definitely a lesson I want to share in how to treat your friends...It was such a treat, I didn't want to leave!

My friends, Jean and Mitch, live in a lovely suburb of Portland, Oregon. They are empty nesters after having raised four kids. I traveled up on Jet Blue from Long Beach with a mutual friend for a long weekend of R & R. Heavy emphasis on the relaxing!

Both Jean and Mitch picked us up at the airport in the late evening and we went directly to their home. They treated us to a little buffet of snacks that Jean had casually set out in her kitchen. I had grabbed one of those wrapped sandwiches in the terminal to eat on the plane, but, honestly, it tasted as though TSA had fished around in there and took out all the good stuff! Two bites felt like sawdust in my mouth. I was so thankful for these little nuggets in Jean's kitchen--fresh cheeses, pasta pillows filled with spinach, and this amazing quinoa-couscous blend with veggies (recipe follows). Tickled down with a glass of wine and I was in Heaven!

After some warm conversation next to the fireplace, we headed off to bed. I stayed in a bedroom with two adorable twin beds--one for me and one for my open luggage. I shared a large bathroom across the hall with my travel companion. Jean made me feel so at home with soft sheets, lots of pillows and cozy bedding along with a help yourself attitude that I did just that... and felt completely at home. I had forgotten toothpaste and shampoo; no worries, both were easily found and appreciated.

In the morning, coffee was set to brew as Jean had mentioned the night before. I turned it on and helped myself to a cup while I enjoyed the show outside. Say what you want about Oregon weather, but I found nothing but sun and warm temps this mid-April weekend. Beautiful birds swooping in and out of the backyard enjoyed a smorgasbord from feeders strategically placed. Mitch and Jean's son built a stunning wood deck all across the back of the house and the landscape around it was beautiful. This change of scenery was just what I needed with three teenagers back home and a family room affectionately referred to as the "locker room."

Slow and easy conversations, good coffee, getting lost in downtown Portland, chasing the little grandchildren...The whole weekend was like that. Jean and Mitch just made me feel at home, even allowed me full run of the kitchen as I cooked on Friday for the kids and grand kids. The secret was this easiness that Jean possesses. She's always been like that, but I have a new found respect for this simplicity, this freedom from formality that I sometimes just can't get away from when I have a guest in my home. Somehow, I succumb to propriety and allow my insecurity to take over. Jean has learned the secret...and I have always "gone to school on" Jean. She's taught me about raising kids, working out (she runs a gym), and healthy foods.

Once again, I've caught the lesson. I can't wait to have her in my home to return the favor of a comfortable, restful weekend. Of course, we'll have to wait until the "locker room" clears out.

RECIPE: Harvest Blend with Vegetables
Ingredients:

1 pkg. Trader Joes Harvest Grains Blend

3 1/2 c. vegetable broth

2 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. olive oil

1/2 c. diced celery

1/2 c. diced carrot

1/2 c. diced green onion

1/2 c. diced red pepper

1/2 c. diced green pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 c. toasted slice almonds

1/4 c. shelled pistachios

salt and pepper

1 tblsp dried oregano

optional: fresh, chopped herbs like thyme, basil and/or marjoram

Heat broth until boiling and add the harvest blend package along with the butter. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and fluff with fork.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the celery, onion, carrot and peppers. Saute for about 5-7 minutes until the veggies are crisp tender. Add the garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant. Toss in the harvest blend, nuts and optional herbs (if using). Toss until well combined. Serve immediately. Adding in a cooked protein (chicken, sausage, meat or tofu) makes for a great meal, too! Enjoy... Thanks, Jeannie!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend and a much needed one! Love the idea of the blog and hope to visit it more than FB -- not very good at that!