Monday, June 14, 2010

Good Old Summertime

Ah… summer. It’s just about here. Conjured up for me are some wildly varied memories of the season. As a child, I lived in many different states on the upper east coast, as well as some years in Florida; and now a couple of decades or so (most of my adult life) spent in Southern California.

The scent of summer is what stays with me mostly. In Annisquam, Massachusetts, tucked away in the little hills near Gloucester, I recall the smell of bubblegum, earthworms and the salty sea air. We lived within walking distance of the local docks, a favorite hangout for my brothers and me. We little kids would tie some fishing line to a stick, and attach a hook. If we didn’t take the time to dig up worms, we’d use freshly chewed Double Bubble as bait. (I kid you not!)

I would lay face down with my head hanging off of the edge of the dock and excitedly drop my line and yank up as many of those little minnows our bucket could hold. My brothers and I would then march back up the hill to home. Proudly, we presented our haul to Mom, grinning from ear to ear. Our mirth quickly turned to immense disappointment at her refusal to cook up our catch!

In a quiet suburb of Waterbury, Connecticut, the summer sun would set against the backdrop of wildflowers growing in the field on the back side of the cul de sac. Bouquets of balsam and buttercups were punctuated with the beams of fireflies. All of the neighborhood kids stayed out ‘til ten playing hide and go seek. I have a sweet, vivid memory of walking my little brother home. I was about 12 years old and he was maybe 8 and a half. He asked me all about the moon as if I knew how it was hung and who put it there. (How times have changed!)

Summer down south brings memories of the searing heat and humidity of Florida as it burned my nose upon stepping out of an air conditioned house. Looking out from the car port, the air hung in a literal wave of frizzle. My friends and I would play paddleball with tennis rackets early in the morning just down the street. Then, we would take two city buses to bake on the beach, coated in baby oil like hens on a white-hot grill. “Jaws” had just come out in theatres and, after seeing that movie, we made a pact to stay out of the warm, Fort Lauderdale waters!

The air in Southern California is unlike that of any other area of the country. It’s full of smog, and in the summer, we affectionately refer to the heavy brown stuff as “schmaze.” It’s simply the smog bearing the weight of the heat from this desert environment. Many of the scents of summer here are not much different than those of other seasons in the Golden State…it smells like busy, like constant movement. With cups. And phones. Moving fast, like little bullets in the armor of choice: car, bus, van, motorcycle.

Then there’s me: Swimming Upstream.

In honor of sitting here on the precipice of summer, I have created a lovely, summer chicken dish. It’s simple and refreshing. Pair it with this salad and you have something wonderful to enjoy out on the patio…wherever you spend your summers.

SIMPLE CITRUS CHICKEN

4 split, medium sized, bone-in chicken breasts (2 whole)
1 Lime
1 Lemon
1 Orange
Three tbsp. minced garlic
¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 (can also be prepared on gas or charcoal grill). Zest all of the citrus into a small bowl and mix in the garlic. Loosen the skin from all four of the chicken breasts, but do not remove. Place an equal amount of the zest mix under and on top of the skin of each breast. Drizzle over the olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until cooked through.

No comments: