Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bolognese Over Baking Any Day!

You know that process of measuring precisely, sifting the dry goods, cutting in the butter at just the right temperature? How you have it down to a science: adding in the wet ingredients and stirring until a dough just comes together? Then the forming, the pouring, or the plopping and into a pre-heated oven.

Waiting, checking, tip-toeing, waiting.

Ahhhh...the confection-ish reward for your troubles lies in wait while it cools. Ready to pounce on that craving that preys on your sweet tooth. MMMMMM... hopefully, it's gooey, it's chocolaty, and sticky on the fingers.

Unfortunately, I can only imagine this perspective... It'll probably never be a reality for me. You see, I'm more of a "Rachael Ray" on the baking thing. I just don't get it. It's way to precise, requires more discipline than I can muster and stifles my creative side.

Perhaps it's just too scientific for me. In high school, I got through Chemistry by sitting next to the valedictorian of my class. I think he kind of liked me, too, so he was a willing tutor!

Oh, and, on top of that, I don't much care for sweets--unless it's a small square of dark chocolate. Or creme brulee out at restaurant (which to me seems mysterious and would be ruined for me if I actually knew how to make it!).

No, give me good olive tapenades and rich cheeses to meet my cravings. I love sauces with layers of flavor where I can let my imagination take over. Of course, all still detrimental to dieting! Like ALL good food.

Lately, I have been craving a really great bolognese and I think I have come up with a simple one. It doesn't take all day or require lamb bones and meat scraps (who has those just laying around, Mario?!). I even made two pots of it today: one without the meat for my vegetarian daughter. I will serve it over thick strands of pasta with a nice, crusty bread. Mangia, Mangia!

Easy Bolognese

3 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
1 cup finely diced carrot
1 cup finely diced celery
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
3 oz. diced panchetta
1 bay leaf
4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
3/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. tomato paste
32 oz. can whole Italian tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

In the olive oil, saute the onion, carrot and celery. Do not caramelize, just soften slowly for about 7 minutes. In a separate pan, saute the meats until just cooked through, then drain. Add the panchetta  to the onion mixture and cook until just crisp, then add the bay leaf and herbs; saute until fragrant. De glaze with both the red and white wine and reduce by about half. Add the meat, then the milk and allow the milk to almost completely cook out for about 8-12 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir often. Finally, add the tomato paste, the tomatoes (breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon) and salt and pepper. Simmer on low for an hour to an hour and a half. Before serving, remove the thyme stems and the bay leaf. Serve over pasta.

No comments: